Today, some manufacturers, like Jelly Belly and The Jelly Bean Factory, keep the world of jelly beans exciting with unique and fun flavors available at multiple stores. Jelly Belly, for example, makes over 50 flavors in addition to specialty flavors like Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans, popularized by J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter novels, which features jelly bean flavors like mashed potatoes, gravy and ear wax.
5 Fun facts about jelly beans
- It takes seven to 21 days to make a single jelly bean.
- In the early 1900s, the term "jelly-bean" was a slang term for a stylish man with no other positive qualities (like a "dandy" or a "drugstore cowboy").
- Jelly beans were President Reagan’s favorite candy and Jelly Belly created the blueberry-flavored jelly bean especially for his inauguration.
- Jelly beans were the first candy to be sold by weight, rather than by the piece.
- During Easter season, an average of 16 billion jelly beans are manufactured -- enough to circle the Earth more than three times.